Hey guys! So I mentioned at the end of one of my recently posted reviews that I would update you guys on what’s been happening the past year or so and explain why I haven’t been active on my blog until now.
Hey guys, so this is a very late post but I’ve been so exhausted the last few days I’ve not had time to post anything so I do apologise! I was contacted by Molly Kay from Arhaus and asked if I would do a post on ‘My Dream Reading Space’ so I was thrilled to finally be able to get out all the wonderful and fab ideas that I have in my head for my own reading room.
To start with I want a huge room full of bookshelves from floor to ceiling and each one to be themed or have a certain genre/colour on it. For example, I want one bookcase just completely dedicated to Harry Potter things so all my books, DVDs and Harry Potter memorabilia can sit on it. There would also be a bookshelf for my YA novels to be laid out in colour order or alphabetical order. I would then have a shelf for my vinyls and record player to sit on so that wasn’t actually in the way of anything.
Now as well as this being my reading space, I would also have it as my music room to keep all my instruments so I would have a space in the room where I can keep my guitars, bass guitars and CDs/DVDs. This would mean that everything I ever need would be all in the same place and wouldn’t be in anybody’s way (although I can’t promise there won’t be the odd book or five lying around elsewhere in the house).
In terms of what kind of bookshelves I’d like here are just a few examples of what I would love to have in my own personal library;
- Vittoria Bell’ Arte Wall Unit: This beautiful piece is what I would love for my HP collection and books. It’s so vintage looking and I fell in love with it as soon as I seen it!
- Athens Modular Library: Now this is the bookshelf I’d have for all my YA books/classics. IT’S LIKE THE BOOKSHELF IN BEAUTY AND THE BEAST!!! LOOK HOW NICE IT IS!!!!
- Spencer Bookcase with Panel Doors: I was automatically drawn to this bookcase when looking for one for my record player/vinyls/CDs etc. The panel doors are the perfect addition for an old vintage record player and I just adore the whole look of it.
Now for the general feel/vibe/look of the reading space, this is the sort of idea I’d like;
(All these photos taken from Pinterest)
Trying to describe and come up with my perfect reading space/room would keep me here for days because I do have so many ideas and styles I’d love for it so I think I’ll leave it here and maybe do another one in the near future!
I’d just like to take this moment to thank Molly for getting in touch with me and asking me to do this post because I never would’ve thought to have done a post like this myself! If you do get a chance then please check out the Arhaus website. Their products and the style of them are just stunning and hopefully one day I’ll be able to afford all the things I want from the site!! The bookcases I listed in the post are from the site also so please do have a look!
Please let me know what your dream reading space/room/area would be like in the comments or even do your own post and send me the link so I can check it out!
I’ll have another post up soon for you guys! 🙂
Hey guys, sorry it’s been so long since I last posted. I’m now working full time in a call centre and struggle to find the time to blog but hopefully that will improve as I start to get used to the hours and I’ll start trying to make more effort with the blog as I do miss posting reviews and updating you guys on what I’m doing/reading.
In a few of my previous posts I’ve mentioned briefly about my battle with depression and the struggles I have with this illness. Depression is just one of the many mental health illnesses that people suffer with and over the last few weeks I’ve been wanting to read more books with people suffering with these issues so I guess this post is just a way of looking for anything you guys could recommend to me. I’m looking for both fiction and non-fiction books and hopefully I’ll be able to review some of these books too.
I’m currently reading ‘Mad Girl’ by Bryony Gordon and have just bought ‘Reasons To Stay Alive’ by Matt Haig, ‘A Mindfulness Guide For The Frazzled’ by Ruby Wax and ‘The Hospital’ by Barbara O’Hare so if you have any books similar to these please do leave a comment and let me know what they are and I’ll have a look in to them!
I also want to say that if any of you are ever feeling down or anxious about anything and need to talk to someone then I’m here to listen to you all. You can reach out to me on twitter (@kirsty_reads) and I’ll listen to whatever you have to say and try and help you in anyway I can.
HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY GUYS!!!
This is one of my favourite days simply because it’s all about books! Working with kids too means I get to see them in all their wonderful costumes today as well which is just great as they all put so much effort into their characters!
This World Book Day, I’m currently reading The Warsaw Anagrams by Richard Zimler and so far I’m really enjoying it. Books have always been one of my favourite things and they’re the one thing that can keep me calm and help keep my mind off things. After being off work sick for 2 months I managed to get through a few of the books I wanted to read and I even went back to the library for the first time in years which was fun!
World Book Day is a day I love as it encourages children to read and let them see the fun and all the different worlds books can bring to them and that’s something I enjoy seeing as it’s so rare nowadays to find children who enjoy reading. If you’re looking for something to read, the World Book Day website has posted a list of “50 books that will change your life.” You can check that list out here.
I hope you all have a fantastic book day and enjoy celebrating it in whichever way you are! Let me know if you’re doing anything in the comments!! I’ll be going back to work unfortunately but after that I’ll be spending the rest of my night trying to finish my book.
Hey guys, it’s been a looooong time since I last put up a post. In 2016 I lost all motivation for everything I used to love. In April my dad walked out and after that things gradually got worse and I stopped reading, lost the love I had for my job and although I pretended like everything was fine whilst making sure my mum and sister were alright, I was gradually making myself more ill until around November when things got too much and I had a breakdown. I’ve been off work now for over a month due to severe stress and depression and in a way I’m thankful for that because I’ve had time to sit and get back into reading whilst trying to make myself better. I’m still not 100% there, not even 50% there but I am getting better and I’ve rediscovered my love of books. The split of my parents has been extremely hard and the holiday season is probably when it hit me most as I didn’t have both my parents there for Christmas and New Year and that was always a huge thing for me.
Although 2016 had the bad moments, there were also good moments. In April, I passed my driving test first time which made me so happy because it finally gave me the freedom to go wherever I wanted without having to bother family members for a lift! I also met my boyfriend in July and without him I don’t know how I would’ve got through the last few months. He’s been absolutely incredible and he’s one of the most caring people I’ve ever met. I’m really looking forward to seeing what 2017 has in store for us. 2016 was also the year I turned 21 and I got to spend that day with the people who mean the most to me which was great.
This year I’m determined to get back into blogging and reviewing again as I have missed it and I’m hoping to read more books than I did last year (31). I’m also determined to find and do things that make me happy rather than always making sure everyone else is happy before me. Before I am able to get back into blogging regularly again, I may have to wait until we move house (god knows how long that will be) as we no longer have any wifi. But I promise to post as much as I can in the mean time!
I hope 2017 is a wonderful year for you all and brings you all happiness. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Hi guys, so today I was going to do my first ‘Harry Potter Moment Of The Week’ of 2016 but I woke up to the sad news that Alan Rickman has passed away at the age of 69 therefore I’d like to dedicate this post to him.
Alan Rickman was an amazingly talented actor who became the star in whichever film he appeared in. Some of his most popular roles being; Severus Snape in Harry Potter, Hans Gruber in Die Hard, Harry in Love Actually and Judge Turpin in Sweeney Todd. This man was a huge part of my childhood as I grew up with the Harry Potter series and therefore he became the man who played the part of one of the scariest teachers in the books. When I think about it now, I don’t think they could’ve picked a better person to play Snape, he portrayed the character brilliantly and did an amazing job of bringing him to life.
There are no words to describe how sad I am about this news. I was a huge fan of a lot of his work and I’m deeply saddened there won’t be more but at least he’s no longer suffering. This week has been a hard week, first with the loss of the musical legend, David Bowie and now a phenomenal actor. All this has happened so quickly in the year too. Hopefully it’ll be a long while before we lose another huge talent.
Alan Rickman will be remembered by many people of all ages for his fantastic work.
Hey guys! So as I said in my first post of the year, 2016 is a big year for me as it’s the year I turn 21 and I want it to be a really good, positive year. I have quite a lot of goals both bookish and personal. So I guess I’ll now make a list and share with you all my goals for 2016.
- Lose around 3 stone. This is a huge goal of mine as I know I need to be strong minded to do this and not give in to temptation. Especially when my mum brings in loads of sweets and crisps!
- I want to start being more positive and think about myself more. I’m always helping other people and it starts to take it’s toll on my mental health so I plan on putting myself and my health first, rather than other people’s.
- Save up all of my tips and at least £100 of my monthly wages. In 2017 I want to go to America with a company called Trek America and to do that I really need to be strict with my saving so I have enough money to do it! I’ve been saying since the middle of last year I want to do it so I need to be really strict with myself and stop spending money on things I don’t really need (meaning I need to stop buying books and gig tickets… so sad)
- Try and volunteer at an animal centre or something when I’m free. I love animals and I got one of my cats from the SSPCA so would love to go back and volunteer at least once a week there. I feel like it would be a good experience and I would feel better for doing it.
- Be more active on my blog. I want to post at least once a week whether it’s a bookish post or not. I also want my blog to look better but I know nothing about web design or graphics so I’ll need to try and find someone who can help! (Is there anyone out there that can help me along or do you guys know anyone???)
- Pass my driving test. I’m so desperate to drive and even have my own wee car but I’ve yet to pass my test! Hopefully in the next couple of months I can tick this one off!
- Go to the Harry Potter Studio Tour in London.
- Go to Camden in London.
- Spend more time with my family.
- Spend less time on my phone.
- Start getting back into playing Bass Guitar. My parents bought me a new one for Christmas and I really do miss playing so hopefully I can get that started again.
- Start using the library again
- Make a start on all the books I bought last year
- Read a genre I wouldn’t normally read
- Complete the Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge (I set it to 60 this year)
- Re-Read The Mortal Instruments series
- Re-Read Tess Of The D’Urbervilles (one of my favourite classic novels)
- Post more reviews
- Have a more organised reading list each month
For now, that’s all the goals I have but if more come up then I shall update this list and then let you all know! Hopefully come December 31st, if not all then the majority of these will be crossed off!
What are your guys goals this year? If you’ve made a post feel free to send me the link so I can check it out!!